Does running ``# portupgrade -arRp '' prompt for options or updates everything without prompts?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sat May 7 02:26:17 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 May 2011, Antonio Olivares wrote:
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Antonio Olivares
>>>
>>> Sorry for TOP POSTING :(, but do I run
>>> # portmaster -a -f -D
>>>
>>> and do an in place update of all ports?
>>> is this the recommended way or nuking and rebuilding?
>>
>> After the attempt to install every port, I'd remove all, update the ports
>> tree, and install only the needed ports.  Right now you may have many
>> installed that are not just unneeded but unwanted.
>>

> I am following the advice given in man portmaster:
>
> <quote>
>     Using portmaster to do a complete reinstallation of all your ports:
>           1. portmaster --list-origins > ~/installed-port-list
>
>     Print only the ports that have available updates.  This can be used as an
>     alias in your shell.  Be sure to fix the line wrapping appropriately.
>           portmaster -L |
>           egrep -B1 '(ew|ort) version|Aborting|installed|dependencies|
>           IGNORE|marked|Reason:|MOVED|deleted|exist|update' | grep -v '^--'
>
>           2. Update your ports tree
>           3. portmaster -ty --clean-distfiles
>           4. portmaster --check-port-dbdir
>           5. portmaster -Faf
>           6. pkg_delete -a
>           7. rm -rf /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg
>           8. Back up any files in /usr/local you wish to save,
>              such as configuration files in /usr/local/etc
>           9. Manually check /usr/local and /var/db/pkg
>              to make sure that they are really empty
>           10. Re-install portmaster
>           11. portmaster `cat ~/installed-port-list`
> </quote>
>
> Mostly everything is step 11 :)  Will come back hopefully with a fully
> updated machine.
>
> Regards,
>
> Antonio

startx command not found :(, no bash
ran
# pkg_add -r bash
# pkg_add -r xfce4

did not succeed, now ran to ports
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/xfce4
# make install clean

and am stuck here.  Hopefully this gets me back on my feet.
Otherwise, it has been a big exercise :) and definitely I will learn
from it.

Regards,

Antonio