rox-fm

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu May 5 21:06:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> I wish someone could clearly explain why the reply-to field should
> ONLY have the mailing-list address, or at least have as the default
> address and not the other way around as it is here!

This is one of the all-time great religious wars of the internet, on
par with vi vs. Emacs and top-posting vs. bottom-posting.

See http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-harmful.html for one
side of the argument, and
http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.html for the other side.

My advice is to just accept that some mailing list administrators will
choose one side of this particular schism, and others will choose the
other.  Arguing the issue rarely gets anywhere.