Can I bridge the same subnet across a VPN?

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at gmx.com
Thu May 5 17:39:36 UTC 2011

On 5/5/2011 12:24 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
> The problem I've always found with bridged solutions is they don't
> cope well under heavy traffic loads when the VPN link is slower than
> the LANs they're bridging between.  And the VPN link is usually slower
> if it's over a WAN.  The link tends to get saturated.

There is no inbuilt reason why a L2 VPN is more easily saturated
than a L3 VPN.

After all protocols doing bulk transfers should - and mostly - use
TCP which autotunes the rate of sent packets. And TCP should be
able to saturate the lower-bandwidth link of the whole path. That's
normal and desirable.

Some care must be taken with the broadcast and multicast traffic
which goes through the L2 VPN.

Just my 2 cents, Nikos