For My Edification

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Tue May 3 16:34:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 09:46:04AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:

> There also is an additional tool called something like "Power shell"
> (not fully sure, I'm not a "Windows" person) that is more like a UNIX
> shell than CMD.EXE, which has its origins in the COMMAND.COM of DOS -
> not the _real_ DOS of course. :-)

It's *not* really much like a Unix shell, actually.  For instance, it
doesn't have the Unix pipeline (which cmd.exe *does* have).  Instead, it
assumes everything you'll be passing around in it is basically a
serialized object in the tradition of the .NET framework.  It is, in
short, more of a glue code development tool for .NET developers than a
proper command shell.

You can abuse it as a command shell if you want to, but in my experience
the REPL for the R6RS (Scheme) implementation called Ypsilon serves as a
better command shell than PowerShell.