Ports and Packages

Barry Byrne barry.byrne at wbtsystems.com
Mon May 2 18:23:33 UTC 2011

On 2 May 2011, at 18:46, Mohammed Gamal wrote:

> 1-where to get php-5.3.6.tbz and mysql cuz my ports collections doesn't exist.
> /usr/ports

Install the ports tree.

	# portsnap fetch install

> i have done installing apache2.2.17 from source but it doesn't start on boot , i also added
> apache22_enable="YES" to rc.conf but no effect.

The port version installs a startup script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
If you don't use the port version, you'll need to create your own
Better to use the port version

> 2- why i can not access root account through ssh2 ?

Because it's disabled in the config as it's a security risk.
Better to ssh as a normal user and use sudo/su as appropriate.
If you really must, you can edit the config

	# vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config

 - barry