gcc

Eduardo nec556 at retena.com
Thu Mar 31 22:44:54 UTC 2011

At 20:19 31/03/2011, Gary Dunn wrote:

>Can someone point me to an official position statement on this ban
>on GPL3 code in FreeBSD? Doesn't seem right to me. And please, no
>GPL flame wars.

Don't know if there were an official Some links that may be interesting:

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd9.html "CLANG / LLVM compiler" entry

http://www.links.org/?p=518  "Will GPLv3 Kill GPL?"

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#v2v3Compatibility "GPLv2
compatible with GPLv3?"

http://www.bsdcan.org/2010/schedule/events/175.en.html

Apple and some other companies made the switch from gcc to llvm some
years ago, in Apple case, because gnu/fsf forced to make all
objective-c compiler developed by Apple for gcc open source, because
gcc was GPL (http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1390172)

Resuming, or my resume, GPLv3 is politically incorrect for a BSD
project, it's preferred BSD tools, made by BSD community for BSD
community and (as licence allows it) by extension everyone than GPLv3
tools made for GNU/FSF and (as licence don't permit share) only for them.

HTH