Easiest desktop BSD distro

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Tue Mar 29 21:41:36 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 02:23:48PM -0700, Chip Camden wrote:

> Quoth William Brown on Wednesday, 30 March 2011:

> > > To each their own, but I wouldn't want a system that Paris Hilton could
> > > handle any more than I'd want a vehicle that a four-year-old can drive.
> >
> > There is something to be said for the keep it simple principle however.
> >
> Yes, but "keep it simple" need not mean "do everything for you."  Often,
> a simpler design means more choices, and more choices means more
> responsibility and more steps to completion.

But often better eventual results.

Just a nit here -- I would think of BSD as less cluttered
rather than simpler.

Those that have all the extra built-ins with no thinking required
tend to be more complicated, not simpler.  They just cover it up
by allowing fewer choices -- as you imply above.

////jerry