reverse dns in bind9

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Mar 29 03:54:40 UTC 2011

On 3/28/11 11:36 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:

> Now I could probably understand it FAILING due to perhaps a type-o in
> the config. But I am genuinely curious as to how forward lookups will
> work and reverse lookups time out.

I would expect them to time out if your dns server knows nothing about
the reverse zone; give or take how you connect to the rest of the DNS.
What messages about zones loading did you get when you restarted bind?
Where there any crabby comments in the log file about not loading
master/summitnjhome-reverse.db due to error(s)?  Was that file mentioned
at all?

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com