searching for a good IDE

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 27 19:27:25 UTC 2011

On Sun 27 Mar 2011 at 11:57:46 PDT Chris Brennan wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Chip Camden
><sterling at camdensoftware.com> wrote:
>
>Quoth Charlie Kester on Sunday, 27 March 2011:
>> >
>> > Personally, I prefer vim.  ;)
>> >

>> +1
>>
>> Someone will object that the OP asked for an IDE.  IMO, vim Integrates
>> quite well with the shell, make, etc.
>>

>vim is all one needs ... once I sat down and learned the basics of vim/vi I
>stopped installing nano, I feel much more comfortable in vim now then any
>other editor, even notepad. gvim on my *one* windows machine and vim
>everywhere else makes me very happy.

As Chip said, vi/vim integrates nicely with the shell and other
development tools.  Along with those tools, it provides a flexible and
powerful development environment.

It just doesn't do it in the way most people think of when they talk
about "IDEs".

If the OP is looking for something more like Visual Studio or Xcode,
however, then I would repeat my suggestion to look at anjuta and geany.
Codelite and Code::Blocks might also be worth considering.