MySQL 3 needed but how?

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Sat Mar 26 19:40:56 UTC 2011

On 2011-03-26 18:41, John Levine wrote:
> In article<4D8E1E4A.5000609 at shopzeus.com>  you write:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an old backup from a MySQL data directory. It was created with
>> MySQL version 3. If I install MySQL 4 then I get this message telling
>> that the table was created with a different MySQL version.
> You should be able to restore the individual database directories
> under mysql 4 and use ALTER TABLE to upgrade the file formats.  You'll
> lose the user access stuff, but that's usually easy enough to
> reconstruct.
>
> In MySQL, each database is self-describing.  That is, for database
> foo, the files in the foo/ directory are both the description of
> the tables and the data in them.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/upgrading-from-3-23.html
Okay, I tried to follow the instruction. So instead of installing 4.1, I
have installed 4.0. After replacing /var/db/mysql with my archived
directory:

gw# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server start
Starting mysql.
gw# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server status
mysql is not running.
gw#

There is nothing in /var/log/messages.

It was working with 4.1 server, but I just uninstalled that (because the
upgrading faq told me to install 4.0 instead.)

So what now?