linux_compat libcups

Da Rock freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au
Tue Mar 22 02:39:30 UTC 2011

Hi guys. Another minor issue is getting printers recognised in linux
programs. For user functionality cups is the key- so avoiding it is
impossible.

I dumped libcups.so.2 from a F10 rpm, but this didn't work; aside from
the fact it was an older library which I wasn't entirely sure would be a
close enough hack.

Do I need to install a complete cups client to make this work? Does the
library need to match the client? The latter I ask because the programs
appear to create a system call to lp/lpr, so I would assume the
libraries don't need to be an exact match. The libraries seem to only
query cups for available printers.

Cheers