installing freebsd on a thinkpad x300

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 20:55:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Alokat <mailing at alokat.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have successfully installed FreeBSD on my x300 but I have some driver
> problems.
>
> Does someone know how to figure out which driver I need for the sound and
> the wlan card?

The sound card should be snd_hda(4):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=snd_hda&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE&format=html

Here's a document detailing sound configuration:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

The wireless device driver should be iwn(4):

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=iwn&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE&format=html

Please refer to the handbook for configuration instructions:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

> And the second point is: does someone know a GUI network manager I can use
> for xfce4?

There are (at least) a couple from ports you can try:

http://www.freshports.org/net/pcbsd-netmanager
http://www.freshports.org/net/wpa_gui/

I remember at one time testing a GTK-based utility, but I can't seem
to dredge up the name of it from memory ATM...

> Regards,
> alokat

Good luck,

-Brandon