Upgrading FreeBSd when using a zfs-only installation?

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Fri Mar 18 01:05:50 UTC 2011

--As of March 16, 2011 10:17:12 PM +0000, Matthew Seaman is alleged to have
said:

> I suggest you try out your update in a VM then, because I doubt anyone
> will produce an answer definitive enough for you.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

In case anyone still cares, and if a VM running in Parallels on an OS X box
is a good enough test for people...

Matthew's answer tested out as being correct.  The VM booted correctly
after the binary update, but failed after upgrading the version of the
zpool.  Notably, `zpool upgrade -a` mentioned this in it's output, and gave
the command to fix the problem.  (Which would update the bootloader.)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.