HAL must die!

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Mar 16 17:08:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 09:25:59AM +0700, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 March 2011 07:37:53 Jerry wrote:
> >
> > Now, as far as HAL goes, the fragmented open-source community cannot
> > even begin to agree on its replacement. Every distro is busy trying to
>
> It looks like a bunch of little Napoleons.

. . . just like the plethora of warring closed "standards" produced by
closed source software vendors.  It's an epidemic, really.

I believe that a major factor in determining the practical
standardization of a policy or design, as measured in widespread adoption
and portability, is the lack of restrictions in how it is implemented,
used, distributed, et cetera, aside from the basic definition of what is
compatible with the standard.  This means that EULAs, copyleft licenses,
patents, and other restrictions on use and deployment tend to kill
widespread adoption as a practical "standard", especially when there is
no singly market-dominating corporation leading the charge for adoption.