HAL must die!

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 16 00:37:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 08:32:01 +1000
Da Rock <freebsd-questions at herveybayaustralia.com.au> articulated:

> On 03/08/11 03:00, Chad Perrin wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 07, 2011 at 07:31:43AM -0800, Nerius Landys wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry I could not help but to realize the title of this forum
> >> discussion.
> >>
> >> "I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that."  :-/
> >>
> > "I'm sorry Dave.  I'm afraid I can't do that."
> >
> > (full quote)
> >
> >      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qnd-hdmgfk
> >
> > Did you know you can configure YouTube to use HTML5 instead of
> > Flash now? Adobe is in danger of becoming irrelevant.
> >
> Yay!
>
> Unfortunately that dream may never be satisfied while stupid
> corporate media giants have a desire to keep things closed up. And
> now we have #%$^%& silverlight to deal with- open source cooperation
> my ass! Just got v2 running and now everything requires v3.0...
>
> That may not affect too much in business, but any corp that has ties
> with M$ is pushed to use it., meaning desktop users are left without
> entertainment. My wife can't watch some tv sites because of that now-
> after finally! getting flash working and watching catch up tv and the
> like to come a cropper again with a new format... :(
>
> If only people would stick to open standards...

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from.

    "Andrew S. Tanenbaum"

Microsoft has approximately 90% of the desktop market share with
everyone else dividing up the remainder. If you are on a Microsoft
platform you use their products. The same applies to other platforms
and their utilities.

Corporate media, giants or otherwise, are in business to make money.
They obviously are going to focus on the largest possible paying
audience. Simple business 101.

Now, as far as HAL goes, the fragmented open-source community cannot
even begin to agree on its replacement. Every distro is busy trying to
reinvent the wheel. Here you want the majority of users to be dictated
to by a minority of users who cannot even agree on a common platform
that is uniformly used throughout all the non-Microsoft community. That
reasoning is totally irrational.

--
Jerry ✌
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net