can make -j be used for ports?

John lists at reiteration.net
Tue Mar 15 20:00:03 UTC 2011

Hello freebsd-questions,

I am no expert on make, so, here goes:

Can -j options be used for make when building ports? I have an AMD X2
6000+ so presumably I'd use -j3 if this is possible. I know from the
docs that -j is not recommended for make installkernel or installworld -
but for some ports particularly the metaports I'd like to specify it if
only to make the process faster. I'd like to use -j for portsonly and
perhaps specify on the commandline when rebuilding the OS from source

Is this possible or am I being unreasonable, or both, or not?

thanks,

John - lists at reiteration.net