IDE -- mount partitions for better performance

Erich Dollansky erich at alogreentechnologies.com
Tue Mar 15 03:42:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 March 2011 07:00:30 freebsd_user at guice.ath.cx wrote:
> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>
> Guidance with the following:
>
> We are limited to Support for ATA-100/66/33 IDE and ATAPI compliant
> devices.  With that said, we have our atapi/33 optical on a add in
> controller (PCI) and are seeking to place four HDD’s on the main boards
> controllers.  Our dilemma is where to place /, /tmp, /usr and /var from a
> performance standpoint.  We understand that /var  does quite a bit of
> writing and probably should go on the master hdd, but what about the /usr,
> /tmp and root?  Hell, I’m not sure my thinking is sane as to where I
> ‘think’ /var should be placed/mounted.

did I get it right? You have four hard disks?

If so, place /, /var /tmp on indiidual drives. Make the fourth disk usr and mount the remaining space of the other three disks inside /usr/home.

Locate then stuff on the other three disks which you expect to be used in parallel with the /usr disk.

Of course, you can mount it anywhere else if you want.

Erich