Installing FreeBSD 8.1 on MacBook 5,1

Jasper Bedwell starbase527 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 04:07:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I've been trying to dual-boot FreeBSD 8.1 with Mac OS X on my MacBook (5,1) for some time now, but am having trouble trying to get the live cd to boot.

I reach the FreeBSD Boot Loader Screen with the options for boot, boot without ACPI etc.

However, I cannot select an option. I have tried with both the built in keyboard and a USB keyboard, but I do not think that that is the problem...

Previously I have tried dual booting Ubuntu, but had problems with the live CD also. During the boot process, the boot seemed to freeze, and the CD stopped spinning. I think it might be a similiar problem here. Soon after arriving at this screen, the CD stops spinning.

Thanks for any advice!

BTW. I'm using the amd64 disc1 iso image

== Further Boot Info ==

When booting, Mac's EFI allows me to choose to boot from the CD. The screen goes black, then the following appears:

CD Loader 1.2
Building the boot loader arguments
Looking up /BOOT/LOADER ... Found
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX Loader

BTX Loader 1.00 BTX version is 1.0.2
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS CD is cd0
BIOS drive C: is disk0
BIOS 639kB/1047552kB available memory

/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x8d5503 data=0x129bf8+039f8 syms=[0x8 + 0xddbf8 + 0x8 + 0xca37e]
It then continues to the FreeBSD Boot Loader Screen, and freezes

I have also posted this question on the FreeBSD forums, but after a month there has still been no answer. The same can be said for two other sites I posted the question on: super user & the Unix and Linux Stackexchange.

Sent from my iPod