using dovecot, where is ICOMING mail stored?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Mar 11 23:35:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 07:22:45PM -0500, Daniel Staal wrote:
> --As of March 10, 2011 1:36:45 PM -0800, Gary Kline is alleged to have said:
>
> >	I did try pointing mutt -f at my saved backup
> >	/usr/tmp/.../Maildir.  Nothing.  My copies of saved mail are
> >	there, but not what was in the unread queue.  I was testing out
> >	mutt from a laptop and that has to have been when I
> >	accidentially deleted stuff.  Too bad there isn't a page on
> >	"howto set up a mailserver" ... for dimwits
>
> --As for the rest, it is mine.
>
> Ok, my suggestion: First, install Postfix, and check the config
> option to replace Sendmail.  (Sendmail works just fine.  It also can
> be configured to play tic-tack-toe[1].  A mailer that does _not_
> have a Turing-complete config file is a lot easier to set up, and
> you probably won't ever need to use Sendmail's esoteric options.  ;)
> )

	I would have replied last night but my shoulder was giving me
	way too much grief.  ....You know, I use postfix here on my
	ubuntu desktop.  I'm not sure that it is actually used, but it
	is the default.  Equally, by default, sendmail on FBSD.  Just
	so that things work, I'm happy.

	I've used sendmail since v 2.0.5; bought the book and ground
	thru about 85 pages before giving up.  Pretty sure that there
	are some spam-blockers in one of the /etc/mail/* files, but
	that's about all!

> Then: <http://www.perturb.org/display/Postfix___Dovecot___Maildir___IMAPs.html>
>
> It's a quick walkthrough.  It assumes Linux, but that only means the
> command to install the programs and the location of the config file
> is wrong.  It should get you up and running.

	This sounds like a must-read.

> Your mail is probably in /var/mail.  That's the default location for
> mbox files, and you've probably missed setting up Maildir delivery.
> I don't know how to set that in Sendmail off the top of my head, but
> it's easy enough to use Postfix.

	I checked on my server, ethic.  Zero.  Everything is in
	~/Maildir; well, everything but the old files, :-).

> Daniel T. Staal
>
> [1]This is assuming what I've heard on a Turing-complete config file
> is correct, and not hyperbole.  If it's not completely
> Turing-complete, it's at least very complex.

	LOL.  If it isn't 100% complete, it's close ...  I remember the
	original sendmail.  Totally unreable!

	gary

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 7.98a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org