"Best practices" on upgrading, etc.

Lars Eighner luvbeastie at larseighner.com
Fri Mar 11 21:37:57 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Ed Flecko wrote:

> Hi folks,

> I'm trying to fully understand the whole FBSD version thing and when, if ,
> and why you should consider upgrading.
>
> I have a production server running FBSD 8.1 (and I'm following the errata
> branch) that works just fine, with no problems.
>
> I see that the "Production Release" of 8.2 is available.
>
> Obviously, 8.2 has features that 8.1 does not, but I guess my primary
> questions is:

> 1.) If you have a production server that's running well (and is fully
> patched, i.e. following the errata branch), is there a compelling
> reason to upgrade or do most people do it because there are features
> in the new release that you want/need? I guess what I'm really asking
> is if it makes more sense to take the "if it aint broke - don't fix
> it" mindset or should you really consider upgrading when a new version
> is released???

Even with backups, upgrades can be troublesome.  Read the release notes.  I
suggest you have a reason for upgrading in mind -- other than that the
number got bumped, and this goes double for a production maching.

> 2.) If I DO upgrade, I can simply change my supfile to RELENG_8_2 and then:

The correct order is given in /usr/src/UPDATING.  Do not rely on the
following comments, but consult /usr/src/UPDATING.

> run csup
> upgrade the ports

Update the ports tree and ports after the OS.  Otherwise, you may have to do
it twice.  This is not especially likely in a minor version bump, but it can
happen.

> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel

make kernel
  combines the above two steps.  Then as single user run mergemaster -p.

> make installworld

then run mergermaster and delete old if you please.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html