"Best practices" on upgrading, etc.

Christer Solskogen christer.solskogen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:33:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:03 PM, Ed Flecko <edflecko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I'm trying to fully understand the whole FBSD version thing and when,
> if , and why you should consider upgrading.
>
> I have a production server running FBSD 8.1 (and I'm following the
> errata branch) that works just fine, with no problems.
>
> I see that the "Production Release" of 8.2 is available.
>
> Obviously, 8.2 has features that 8.1 does not, but I guess my primary
> questions is:
>
> 1.) If you have a production server that's running well (and is fully
> patched, i.e. following the errata branch), is there a compelling
> reason to upgrade or do most people do it because there are features
> in the new release that you want/need? I guess what I'm really asking
> is if it makes more sense to take the "if it aint broke - don't fix
> it" mindset or should you really consider upgrading when a new version
> is released???

I do. At a certain point 8.1 will not be supported anymore, and thus
no more security updates.

> 2.) If I DO upgrade, I can simply change my supfile to RELENG_8_2 and then:
>
> run csup
> upgrade the ports
> make buildworld
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> make installworld
>
> is that right? Is my sequence wrong?

A bit wrong.
1) run csup
2) make buildworld && make buildkernel && make installkernel
3) reboot
4) make installworld
5) mergemaster
6) reboot
7) upgrade ports

> 3.) How do I upgrade any installed software (I CAN use portmaster for
> that, right?)?

Yeah, portmaster is key. There is no need to force upgrade of all
ports when going from 8.1 to 8.2.

--
chs,