"Best practices" on upgrading, etc.

Ed Flecko edflecko at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 21:03:23 UTC 2011

Hi folks,
I'm trying to fully understand the whole FBSD version thing and when,
if , and why you should consider upgrading.

I have a production server running FBSD 8.1 (and I'm following the
errata branch) that works just fine, with no problems.

I see that the "Production Release" of 8.2 is available.

Obviously, 8.2 has features that 8.1 does not, but I guess my primary
questions is:

1.) If you have a production server that's running well (and is fully
patched, i.e. following the errata branch), is there a compelling
reason to upgrade or do most people do it because there are features
in the new release that you want/need? I guess what I'm really asking
is if it makes more sense to take the "if it aint broke - don't fix
it" mindset or should you really consider upgrading when a new version
is released???

2.) If I DO upgrade, I can simply change my supfile to RELENG_8_2 and then:

run csup
upgrade the ports
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld

is that right? Is my sequence wrong?

3.) How do I upgrade any installed software (I CAN use portmaster for
that, right?)?

Thank you,
Ed