any friendly folk willing to teach an old foggie how to configure kde/ gnome on freebsd?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Fri Mar 11 07:22:34 UTC 2011

On 03/11/2011 01:10 AM, Polytropon wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:46:42 +0100, Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen at ose.nl> wrote:
>> Do you plan to update FreeBSD and installed ports on your servers on a
>> regular basis?
>> Then I would not recommend installing graphical window ports (applications)
>> on these servers, because it can give you a lot of time, work e.g.
>> unnecessary hassle when upgrading/updating.
> I would suggest that, too. Allow me to point out a new
> perspective of the way of use: GUI forces you to work in a
> linear way and pay extra attention. You cannot automate it.
> Depending on what your primary intention is, using CLI
> tools to get rid of "hands on" work may be a better choice.
> This approach of course assumes that you actually KNOW what
> you're doing, but that's a main requirement for any
> administrator. :-)

I definitely agree here.

>> Webmin is a  good GUI progam (from client perspective) for administering
>> your servers, it just runs in your clients webbrowser and you can administer
>> almost every aspect of your servers with it.
> That's true, but it brings new security risks to the system.
> Also keep in mind that using a web browser limits your
> accessibility to what the browser can do (and the Webmin
> can support), e. g. you may be faster using a shell with
> patterns and autocompletition than manually selecting
> things from a list.

Agree here too. Webmin can be secured and audited very well, but still the
more services that are available, the greater the security risks will be.
Only from the commandline you have all options for configuration of
different services available and it's the fastest way to do things.
For graphical oriented users I think that Webmin is a real good solution and
gives a way to get into the use of the commandline and configuration files.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.