using dovecot, where is ICOMING mail stored?

Daniel Staal DStaal at usa.net
Fri Mar 11 00:22:47 UTC 2011

--As of March 10, 2011 1:36:45 PM -0800, Gary Kline is alleged to have said:

> 	I did try pointing mutt -f at my saved backup
> 	/usr/tmp/.../Maildir.  Nothing.  My copies of saved mail are
> 	there, but not what was in the unread queue.  I was testing out
> 	mutt from a laptop and that has to have been when I
> 	accidentially deleted stuff.  Too bad there isn't a page on
> 	"howto set up a mailserver" ... for dimwits

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Ok, my suggestion: First, install Postfix, and check the config option to
replace Sendmail.  (Sendmail works just fine.  It also can be configured to
play tic-tack-toe[1].  A mailer that does _not_ have a Turing-complete
config file is a lot easier to set up, and you probably won't ever need to
use Sendmail's esoteric options.  ;) )

Then:
<http://www.perturb.org/display/Postfix___Dovecot___Maildir___IMAPs.html>

It's a quick walkthrough.  It assumes Linux, but that only means the
command to install the programs and the location of the config file is
wrong.  It should get you up and running.

Your mail is probably in /var/mail.  That's the default location for mbox
files, and you've probably missed setting up Maildir delivery.  I don't
know how to set that in Sendmail off the top of my head, but it's easy
enough to use Postfix.

Daniel T. Staal

[1]This is assuming what I've heard on a Turing-complete config file is
correct, and not hyperbole.  If it's not completely Turing-complete, it's
at least very complex.

local copyright law.