any friendly folk willing to teach an old foggie how to configure kde/ gnome on freebsd?

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Mar 10 13:04:23 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 01:46 PM, Bas Smeelen wrote:
> On 03/10/2011 12:35 PM, Juan C. Valido wrote:
>> A GUI on a server is just a matter of preference, I go back to before
>> Dos 1.0 and when Windows came out, I fell in love. Now I've got to have
>> a GUI on everything, besides as you get older the command line becomes
>> harder (memory loss)...
On the other hand, you might want to try PC-BSD.
I think it is very well supported and up to date and comes with GUI parts
and the option to install as FreeBSD

> Do you plan to update FreeBSD and installed ports on your servers on a
> regular basis?
> Then I would not recommend installing graphical window ports (applications)
> on these servers, because it can give you a lot of time, work e.g.
> unnecessary hassle when upgrading/updating.
> Webmin is a  good GUI progam (from client perspective) for administering
> your servers, it just runs in your clients webbrowser and you can administer
> almost every aspect of your servers with it.
> Also you might want to take a look at:
> http://www.freebsdforums.org/plesk-cpanel-dedicated-servers/

>>> Hi
>>> Why would you want a window manager on your servers?
>>> Do you all work directly on the consoles?
>>> Do you have window managers/desktop environments on the workstations and
>>> access your servers remotely?
>>> It's not very hard, I would say it's easier, to configure your servers and
>>> services from the commandline with ssh.
>>> Or if you really want something graphical then webmin would be fine also.
>>> This is what I tend to roll-out for other
>>> (graphical oriented) administrators and with some custom commands configured
>>> this works great for them.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail is for the intended recipient(s) only. Access, disclosure, copying,
distribution or reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited. If you have received it
by mistake please let us know by reply and then delete it from your system.