Installing squid, where should the directories be?

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:02:35 UTC 2011

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 16:27:27 +0100
Leslie Jensen <leslie at eskk.nu> wrote:

> Hello list.
>
> I'm installing squid on a new 8.2-RELEASE machine.
> When Googling this problem I see both the use of /var/squid and
> /usr/local/squid.
> I find what I consider conflicting information, often it's quite
> dated.
>
> I could not find any advise in the Handbook. I'll be happy to help
> making a squid chapter.

It's covered in UPDATING. If you search for squid it's the first
entry. The change was to bring squid more in line with hier(7), at the
expense of putting the default cache on a partition that's typically
undersized.

If you  want the cache on a separate partition, and you have no
good reason to put the logs on it, you might as well mount it in line
with hier.