xpdf can not print via cups if started from firefox

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 8 08:38:29 UTC 2011

Hello.

I've got a weird problem here. Very often I download scientific papers
as pdf from protals and they got opened via firefox3 with the configured
propper utility, in this case xpdf. In such a case, printing is
impossible. I hit the print button, a popup shows up with the configured
CUPS printing queue, but hitting OK doesn't have any effect. The funny
thing is: when opening the same PDF (it is stored in /tmp/) with xpdf by
starting xpdf from a terminal, printing on the same queue works well.
I realized that the change of this behaviour occured a long time ago
when the cups printing system got an update. I never figured out what's
the diffrence between starting xpdf via terminal and starting via
firefox. My first guess was that my local ~/.xpdfrc does have effect, as
the right configured CUPS printing queue showed up, but even the
firefox-started xpdf client shows the right printing queue, so this
implies that xpdf also reads my ~/.xpdfrc.
I'm not sure what's going wrong. I have no clue what kind of paper
information is passed to xpdf by being called via firefox. Any help
appreciated.

Thanks,

Oliver