Coldfusion, Postgres and Java under FreeBSD

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:26:04 UTC 2011

> Question #2: Is the JVM implementation for FreeBSD reliable and fast? Most
> of my software components are made in Java (including HSQDB)

Since I have experience with Java on FreeBSD, I will try to answer
this question.

Java works very well for me under FreeBSD; I have not had a single
problem with Java on FreeBSD.
To install java, you can either install a pre-compiled JDK (called
diablo-jdk) or compile all the JDK sources from scratch using the
ports system.  If you compile yourself from ports, you can choose
either JDK 1.5 or JDK 1.6 (there may even be newer and older JDK
versions that work fine).  I'm running JDK 1.5 compiled from source on
both my servers, and have had no problems in my Java applications.
The dependencies list for 1.6 is a bit more involved, but the
compile/install process is so automated that you won't be bothered
with the amount of work it takes to install a JDK.

So, in a nutshell, Java is very well supported under FreeBSD and you
should consider this to be a non-issue.