FreeBSD kernel init slower than linux

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Mar 5 15:44:01 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 11:10:58PM +0100, David Demelier wrote:

> I know this is a awful subject, but I recently tried a Gentoo on my
> laptop and I was surprised to see Linux booting about 2-3 times faster
> than FreeBSD.

a note:

You probably meant "as fast", rather than "faster":

    2x "as fast" = boots in half the time
    2x "faster" = boots in one third the time

    3x "as fast" = boots in one third the time
    3x "faster" = boots in one quarter the time

Which did you mean -- half to one third the time, or one third to one
quarter the time?

I ask because I see the mistake made where people say "faster", "more",
"higher", "cheaper", and so on -- when what they really mean is "as
fast", "as much", "as high", "as cheap", and so on -- all the time.  It
gets annoying that people misuse the language (often accidentally, though
I'm pretty sure it's intentional a lot of the time in the case of
advertising) such that these comparisons end up sounding more dramatic
and exciting.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled anecdotal benchmarking
discussion.)