Finish upgrading remote server without physically being there?

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 22:18:36 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Nerius Landys <nlandys at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another way to do this, but is quite rare, is to log in via serial
>> console.  This requires you to configure serial logins to your server
>> (quite easy, but you should test it first) and it requires the data
>> center to somehow make it possible to log in via serial console.  That
>> is that part that is quite rare.
>
> It's become less rare as more and more servers are coming with IPMI
> devices.  Serial-over-LAN can be tough to set up properly, but once
> set up it works quite well.

Actually the guy who hosts my servers at m5hosting.com was showing and
telling be about some BIOS-over-lan or something like that.  I can't
remember exactly what the feature was, but certain motherboards (some
Supermicro models in particular) let you access "something" over LAN.
Maybe that something was BIOS or serial console, or video console, I
can't remember.  IIRC when you access that stuff over lan it is like a
mini HTTP server and sends you some Java applet or something.  Pretty
neat.