Fastest way to get an entire FBSD system back online?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Mar 2 21:56:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 13:50:19 -0800, Ed Flecko <edflecko at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there something similar in the FBSD arena?...some form of "backing
> up" a server so that if a drive fails, upon replacement of the
> drive(s), the OS can be very quickly recovered from a backup (of some
> sort), or from an image, etc.?
>
> What options are available??? Suggestions???

Other than mirroring techniques, the standard UNIX tools
for dumping and restoring systems partition-wise are
the dump and restore programs. There's a section in the
handbook about how to use them.

Another method is to use dd to make 1:1 copies of disks,
which usually works, but is not very "fine". :-)

I would go with dump/restore and have a custom-made
installer script handy which is executed after booting
the system (e. g. from CD, USB or LAN): It slices,
partitions and newfses the disks, applies labels if
needed, and restores from the .dump files as intended.
This is "fast enough" as it is a very safe solution.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany