Attempting to get an X11 server running

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Jun 30 13:11:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011, Dieter BSD wrote:

> google found
> http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?p=27601
> which suggests using moused instead of hald.  moused runs,
> but I think I have to get Xorg to use a config file to set
>  Option "AllowEmptyInput" "off"
>  Option "AutoAddDevices"  "off"
> so that it will work without hald.

That is incorrect.  Don't set AllowEmptyInput, just turn off
AutoAddDevices.
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/aei.html

> Question 1: why does "Xorg -configure" create a config file
> that doesn't work the same way as just running "Xorg" ?

The defaults assumed when run are different from those in the generated
config file.  I don't know why.

> Question 2: how do I get a usable config file?

Look for examples on the net.  Realize that most of xorg.conf is
optional now, and you can leave out sections where the defaults are
correct.

> Question 3: how do I get complete modeline info for what
> it is currently running?

Please don't mess with modelines, it should not be needed any more.
Just set the resolutions desired in the Screen/Display section.  If
modelines are really required, get them out of /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  But
they almost certainly are not.

> Question 5: how do I get hald to work?

It's not used if you turn off AutoAddDevices or build the xorg-server
port with the HAL option disabled.