Apache 2.2 + PHP5 + SuExec + (fast-cgi or mod_fcgid)

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Wed Jun 29 04:25:21 UTC 2011

Hello Everyone,

I am researching how to run PHP as CGI with Apache's Suexec module. Up to
this point we have been using PHP as an Apache mod, but are looking to move
to the more secure solution.

I am not sure this is exactly the right list top post to so if anyone knows
a better one please let me know :-)

I am using FreeBSD (8) as the OS, Apache 2.2, PHP5 with several extensions
installed.

What I am looking for is to have PHP run as a CGI wrapped with suexec, and
to have the fastcgi module, or, mod_fcgid. I have never set this up before
so if anyone knows of a usefull 'how-to' that would be great. I have been
reading through
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/freebsd-apache22-fastcgi-php-configuration/ and
it seems to have some good hints.

Of course, once we get this all figured out, I will post a complete step by
set here.

TIA,

-Grant