fubar'ed it good this time...

Kurt Buff kurt.buff at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:17:48 UTC 2011

Sitrep: Lenovo T61, dual booting WinXP and FreeBSD (amd64 8.1-RELEASE)
on a 500gb drive. Just did a freebsd-update from 8.1 to 8.2, just
doing the second boot to do 'freebsd-update install' for the second
time, and got dumped into the mountroot prompt.

AFAICT, I managed somehow to write something strange into /etc/fstab.
Can't tell what it is, because during boot it passes by too quickly
for me to read, and the boot process dumps me into the mountroot
prompt.

WinXP still boots just fine, and the FreeBSD boot manager is in place,
and was working before the update.

FreeBSD was booting just fine from /dev/ad0s2a, prior to running freebsd-update.

Now, however, when I select f1 to boot FreeBSD, I get the boot menu,
output from the boot process, and (as I've mentioned) then I get the
mountroot prompt.

I've even downloaded and burned the 8.2 live boot iso, but it says it
can't find a hard drive from sysinstall - both the Fdisk and Label
options say
     "No disks found! Please verify that your disk controller
     is being properly probed at boot time. See the Hardware
     guide on the Documentation menu for clues on
     diagnosing this type of problem."

I get no love from the Fixit shell, either, with /dev being void of
any reference to the hard drive - just acd0.

I'm pretty sure that if I can mount the disk that I can just edit the
cruft out of /etc/fstab, and it will all be fine, but I can't get
there...

Anyone have a thought on how to get this running? I've googled myself
silly on this, and am getting nowhere.

Kurt