Installing X11 gives perl version conflict

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 24 15:19:32 UTC 2011

doug at safeport.com wrote:

>> Dieter> Attempt to install package xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2.tbz
>> Dieter> gives conflict between perl-5.10.1_3 and perl-5.12.3
>> Dieter> even when installing into clean directory tree.
>>
>> Packages seem like a great idea when you get started, but they're all
>> built with the default configs, and those don't necessarily line up.
>>
>> Always build from source.  Always build from source.
>>
>> When you installed 5.12 Perl, it put a marker in /etc/make.conf such
>> that had you built the xf86-video-fbdev from source, it would have
>> depended on 5.12 Perl, not the 5.10 Perl baked in to the default
>> package.  Do that, and all will be well.
>>
>> Yes, I had to learn this the hard way a year ago, so now I pass along
>> that knowledge. :)
>>
> I had the same error. Can the Make files either have this as a warning or
> change the dependency to be any Perl5, or whatever the 'real' dependency
> is? This was not an issue before Perl was removed from the base system and
> Xorg was split into its 200 (or so) component parts.

Read /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.perl.mk. I think mostly many of the variables
contained within may be set in /etc/make.conf and can be picked up at build
time by make. Particularly interesting were PERL_VERSION, PERL_PORT, and
USE_PERL, for example. Reading down into the contents will point to how the
variables get used.

-Mike

[snip]