Installing X11 gives perl version conflict

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Jun 24 14:49:15 UTC 2011

>>>>> "Dieter" == Dieter BSD <dieterbsd at engineer.com> writes:

Dieter> Attempt to install package xf86-video-fbdev-0.4.2.tbz
Dieter> gives conflict between perl-5.10.1_3 and perl-5.12.3
Dieter> even when installing into clean directory tree.

Packages seem like a great idea when you get started, but they're all
built with the default configs, and those don't necessarily line up.

Always build from source.  Always build from source.

When you installed 5.12 Perl, it put a marker in /etc/make.conf such
that had you built the xf86-video-fbdev from source, it would have
depended on 5.12 Perl, not the 5.10 Perl baked in to the default
package.  Do that, and all will be well.

Yes, I had to learn this the hard way a year ago, so now I pass along
that knowledge. :)