'mount -u' stumper

Traiano Welcome Traiano.Welcome at mtnbusiness.co.za
Wed Jun 22 12:06:17 UTC 2011

This seems pertinent:

----
11.12.2 Soft Updates

The tunefs(8) program can be used to fine-tune a file system. This program has many different options, but for now we are only concerned with toggling Soft Updates on and off, which is done by:

# tunefs -n enable /filesystem
# tunefs -n disable /filesystem

---> A filesystem cannot be modified with tunefs(8) while it is mounted. A good time to enable Soft Updates is before any partitions have been mounted, in single-user mode.
---

http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/7.2-RELEASE/usr/share/doc/handbook/configtuning-disk.html

Looks like you're flat out of luck :-)

Cheers,