How to connect a projector to a FreeBSD laptop?

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Jun 21 22:42:01 UTC 2011

Hi,
Reference:

Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011, Polytropon wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:32:55 -0700 (PDT), Unga wrote:
> >>
> >> Could somebody please highlight to me how to successfully connect
> >> a projector and what configurations needs to be done?
> >
> > You did correctly connect the projector before starting the
> > machine. On most laptops you'll find a "CRT/LCD" key (usually
> > among the PF keys on top) you need to press with the "Fn" key.
> > This will cycle through three modes: LCD only -> LCD and CRT ->
> > CRT only. Press this once or twice, and you should get output
> > on the projector.
>
> If that doesn't work, there's also xrandr.

Hi Unga etc.

You might not have a FreeBSD problem as such,
apart from what Polytropon & Warren Bloc suggest, also remember
your projector may not handle the resolution your screen is configured to.

Here's a true tale:
	I was giving a talk, called
		Free Alternatives To Microsoft
		http://www.berklix.com/free/talk/faraday/
	Connected laptop
	All black !
	Good natured audience heckled "So how does Micsosoft compare ?"
	Rebooted to Microsoft
	Still black !  Relief ! Duff hardware ! ... Der Hang on ...
	Both my MS-Win & My FreeBSD-X11 were in in 1600 x 1200 pixel mode.
	The projector couldn't handle beyond 800 or 1024
So drop out of X Windows, (Ctl + Alt + F1 )
See projector now works wth an 80 x 24 plain text screen

Retune your X config to a lower resolution the projector will accept.
	(I'll leave that for someone else to explain how please, tends to vary)

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below, not above;  Indent with "> ";  Cumulative like a play script.