Any working SIP-phone on FreeBSD?

Frank Shute frank at shute.org.uk
Sat Jun 18 21:23:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 12:51:21PM -0700, Yuri wrote:

> On 06/18/2011 11:03, Frank Shute wrote:
> >Skype works. You need a reasonably recent 7 or 8 STABLE or CURRENT and
> >the linux-f10 stuff. There are a number of skype ports; you want to
> >use net-im/skype.
> >

> I use skype and trying to get rid of it. For security reasons. Also for
> the reason that MS who owns it now has the policy of cooperation with
> governments worldwide and there are many fascist governments out there.

I quite understand. MS taking it over was a disaster :(

> So my question was about the alternative to skype.

I was going to use Ekiga but it's dependency on qt and my small SSD
meant it was a no go. As another poster mentioned, I wasn't overly
impressed that you have to muck about with your router etc.

I think we have to wait for somebody to write a Skype clone and
hopefully MS taking over Skype will provide the impetus (MS will drop
the linux port as soon as they can).

> Yuri

Regards,

--