Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Fri Jun 10 01:00:47 UTC 2011

Gary Kline wrote:
> Well, people,
>
> It's been a long, long century.  I've been down for 5 days.
> Couldn't understand _why_ I couldn't ping anywhere [expect the
> Server itself].  Finally, tho, it became more and more likely that
> my FreeBSD was fine ... even tho I kept stripping the most likely
> problem points.  My large 16-port LinkSys router was either *it* or
> it was some kind of bug unknown to geekdom.  After a friend bought
> me a new (and tiny) 8-port switch, yes!  I could ping everywhere.
>
> I'm still bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.
> And testing new ideas.  But I have a general question: have any of
> you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
> hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!  It is solid-state.  Yes, the box is
> within my feet/foot reach.  I have accidently kicked it i suppose,
> but still.
>
> After wandering in the wilderness for 5 days, <<mmph>>, dunno.
>
> gary
>
> PS: yes, this is a serious question.  1) I like things-Cisco, and
> LinkSys.  I just bought this switch about 2.5 years ago, so I really
> am looking for feedback.
>
> PPS:  Another question to ask about upgrading is next.

Switches are weird like Chad says...

I have had an 1000/100 Linksys, and a less than year old Netgear
1000/000 switch die in my shed in the last year. No one could kick them
in a rack out there and Netgear replaced the dead one no questions
asked. So Now I have 2 Netgear units working.  AND I NOW HAVE A SPARE.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD  7.2 - 8.0 - 9* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >