Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 00:37:38 UTC 2011

On Jun 9, 2011, at 3:28 PM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> In many cases, it's not even obvious which of the products I find are suitable for building various types of network switches.  Do you know of any Webpages that might help me rectify my dearth of understanding in this area?

You can get an unmanaged 24-port 10/100/1000 switch for less than $10 per port, and a good managed switch for about $30 per port.

A cheap quad-port GB NIC runs $200 or $50 per port; and one from Intel or Cisco which can actually run all of the ports near rated line speed is closer to $100 per port.  You simply can't build a commodity PC using these and end up anywhere near the price point of a dedicated switch.

Regards,
--
-Chuck