Long Day's Journey into <Bleep>

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Thu Jun 9 04:03:34 UTC 2011

Well, people,

It's been a long, long century.  I've been down for 5 days.
Couldn't understand _why_ I couldn't ping anywhere [expect the
Server itself].  Finally, tho, it became more and more likely that
my FreeBSD was fine ... even tho I kept stripping the most likely
problem points.  My large 16-port LinkSys router was either *it* or
it was some kind of bug unknown to geekdom.  After a friend bought
me a new (and tiny) 8-port switch, yes!  I could ping everywhere.

I'm still bringing back the dozens of things I removed from ethic.
And testing new ideas.  But I have a general question: have any of
you wizards who run your own domains or otherwise use a switch [or
hub] *ever* had it just-quit?!  It is solid-state.  Yes, the box is
within my feet/foot reach.  I have accidently kicked it i suppose,
but still.

After wandering in the wilderness for 5 days, <<mmph>>, dunno.

gary

PS: yes, this is a serious question.  1) I like things-Cisco, and
LinkSys.  I just bought this switch about 2.5 years ago, so I really
am looking for feedback.

PPS:  Another question to ask about upgrading is next.

           Journey Toward the Dawn, E-Book: http://www.thought.org
          The 8.51a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org