Where's my disk?

Erik Nørgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Sat Jun 4 08:31:21 UTC 2011

Hi:

I'm moving my server to new hardware, but I will preserve the disk
making the necessary changes to the configuration before the move.

The first problem is that I have no idea how my disk will be recognized,
now the root partition is on /dev/ad6s1a.

The second problem is that the server is headless. I pretty much have to
guess and remember. I have no way of knowing if a command was successful.

oh, and the third problem is that this new one uses a USB keyboard and I
only have a PS2 keyboard.

This means that I need to figure out how the hard disk will be
recognized so it will be mounted properly at first attempt. Or else have
to go out investing in a lot of extra hardware.

Any trick for doing this?

Thanks, Erik