can't build teTeX port in FreeBSD 8.2 amd64

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 01:00:26 UTC 2011

>> Which is this directory?
>
> I assumed you know.
>
> If you've got the full teTeX installation,
> start with
>
> % texdoc tds
>
> tds (TDS) stands for Tex Directory Structure.
> This is a sort of a standard on how tex
> tree should be organised. teTeX tree
> adheres to TDS convention.
>
> texdoc(1) is incredibly useful, give it a go.
>
> The TDS convention allow for several complementary
> trees. So teTeX tree, by default, is installed
> under /usr/local/share, see e.g.
> /usr/ports/print/teTeX-base/Makefile:
>
> TEXMFDIR=       share/texmf
> TEXMFDISTDIR=   share/texmf-dist
> TEXMFCONFIGDIR= share/texmf-config
> TEXMFLOCALDIR=  share/texmf-local
>
> Basically, the TDS tree is where latex
> will look for packages, fonts, etc.
>
> In addition, by default, latex (or whatever
> your invocation is) will look in user's
> local TDS tree, which is under $HOME/texmf.
>
> Here's a small example:
>
> BUZI> ls -alR $HOME/texmf
> total 12
> drwx------   3 mexas  wheel   512 Mar 23  2006 .
> drwx------  28 mexas  wheel  2048 Jul 30 23:15 ..
> drwx------   3 mexas  wheel   512 Mar 23  2006 bibtex
>
> /home/mexas/texmf/bibtex:
> total 12
> drwx------  3 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 .
> drwx------  3 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 ..
> drwx------  2 mexas  wheel  512 Mar 23  2006 bst
>
> /home/mexas/texmf/bibtex/bst:
> total 60
> drwx------  2 mexas  wheel    512 Mar 23  2006 .
> drwx------  3 mexas  wheel    512 Mar 23  2006 ..
> -rw-------  1 mexas  wheel  25593 Mar 23  2006 jmr.bst
> BUZI>
>
> For this book I ended up with something like this:
>
> /home/mexas/texmf
>   |-doc
>   |---fonts
>   |-----bera
>   |---generic
>   |-----pgf
>   |-------images
>   |-------licenses
>   |-------macros
>   |-------text-en
>   |---------plots
>   |-------version-for-dvipdfm
>   |---------en
>   |-------version-for-dvipdfmx
>   |---------en
>   |-------version-for-dvips
>   |---------en
>   |-------version-for-pdftex
>   |---------en
>   |-------version-for-tex4ht
>   |---------en
>   |-------version-for-vtex
>   |---------en
>   |-----------plots
>   |-------version-for-xetex
>   |---------en
>   |---latex
>   |-----fourier
>   |-dvips
>   |---config
>   |-fonts
>   |---afm
>   |-----public
> [...]

I have been using TeX for a while and I have never had to set up
anthing like this :(  I had used MikTeX in winblow$ and TeTeX in linux
distros and FreeBSD 5.3/FreeBSD6.2, and I had never had to mess with
TDS.

This is what I always did, I tried to compile a tex project and it
failed, I looked at which *.sty file was needed and I downloaded it
from CTTAN or off another computer that had it and put it directly on
the folder that I was working on.  This had always worked for me.

On TeXlive installations(with full TeXLive 20XY installations), I have
not had to hunt down *.sty files, except of course that big tikz
hungry trigbook package:

http://media.texample.net/pgf/builds/pgfCVS2010-09-28_TDS.zip

I downloaded it, and did not know what to do with it :(  Not even with
the full TeXLive 2010 package installed I could get that trigbook
going :(  [compiled except the tikz stuff ]

Am taking a look at TDS, but still confused :(

Regards,

Antonio