printing to a HP Deskjet 812C printer

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 28 16:27:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:06:47 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:57 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:44:52 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >> Made the changes with global /etc/csh.cshrc and it did not work :(
> >
> > Requires re-login, but reboot should also be fine. :-)
>
> Rebooted and firefox did not print :(

Does it have some _overriding_ settings in its
printer dialog?

> Did not try these, as I reverted to .bashrc export PRINTER option.

You said that bash's "echo $PRINTER" would show the
correct name, so things should be fine.

> This did work, the
> $ lpr /etc/rc.conf
>
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$ echo $PRINTER
> Deskjet
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$ lpq
> no entries
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$ lpr /etc/rc.conf
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$ lpq
> Deskjet is ready and printing
> Rank   Owner      Job  Files                                 Total Size
> 1st    olivares   6    /etc/rc.conf                          512 bytes
> [olivares at quadcore ~]$

As it should be. The processing from "plain text" to
whatever you need for the printer is done by the
printer filter (e. g. ghostscript-based, apsfilter,
CUPS, or something custom).

> Firefox 5 does not have the properties option :( you mentioned.  It
> has File -> Page Setup, File -> Print Preview, File -> Print [General
> -> Page Settings -> Options],  but no properties to change printer
> options :(

Very strange. But then, Firefox should address the
DEFAULT printer queue, which is the one $PRINTER
points to.

Maybe you can try to print from a different web
browser, e. g. Opera, just for testing?

> Thank you for the help, I am almost there, in fact I
> can live with what I got :)

There is a "workaround" for this, and the emphasize
is on "work": You can have Firefox printing to a file
instead to the $PRINTER. This file will be a postscript
file. You can _then_ send this PS file (per lpr <file>)
to the printer. :-)

But I would really suggest to look into Firefox's
settings. There must be something strange inside.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany