printing to a HP Deskjet 812C printer

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 28 15:14:32 UTC 2011

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:57:08 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Polytropon,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.  I am using bash as my shell.  I have a
> file ~/.bashrc with command in there and I get:
>
> ========================
> bash: setenv: command not found
>
> ========================

Of course. :-) The setenv command is specific to the
C shell (FreeBSD's default dialog shell). In bash (and
in sh too), you set an environmental vairable like this:

	export PRINTER="Deskjet"

This is short for

	PRINTER="Deskjet"
	export PRINTER

See "man bash" for details: "The supplied names are marked
for automatic export to the  environment  of subsequently
executed commands." - and so on.

> Contents of ~/.bashrc are as follows:
> /****************************************************
>
> [olivares at quadcore /usr/home/olivares]$ cat .bashrc
> # User specific environment and startup programs
> setxkbmap -option compose:ralt &
> setenv PRINTER Deskjet &

I don't think you need to send any of them into
background (&), as they should be processed "right
away".

For example, your ~/.bashrc could look like this:

	setxkbmap -option compose:ralt
	export PRINTER="Deskjet"

Keep in mind that in _this_ case, $PRINTER is set for
_your_ account only (which should be fine on a single-
user system).

However, if you set it up in /etc/csh.cshrc for system-
wide use, user shells like bash should incorporate the
setting.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany