Printr?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Jul 28 13:22:01 UTC 2011

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 18:21:56 -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> hope my new printer lasts at least 6 years.

You only have a chance with an office-class laser printer.
Those are mostly a bit more expensive, HUGE :-) and come
with network (see my checklist; having network is ABSOLUTELY
NECCESSARY if you want to call something "office-class").

I have a HP Laserjet 4 which is almost 20 years old, and
still working perfectly. The 4000d I'm currently using
is also circa 10 years old.

> 	i found variants of the hp2025FOO.  There is the 2025dn,
> 	the 2025x, and the 2025n.   UNtil Robert mentioned it , i
> 	never thought of googling for an individual printer.  there
> 	are a billion of them.

They traditionally differ in "features" (the basic stuff
like PS or PCL support, size of RAM, ability to add
optinons like network, more paper trays, bigger paper
trays, duplexers, output sorters and so on). Letters
at the end often are in conjunction with "is for
office", "is for home use only" and should be seen
as a warning signal. :-)

BTW, "for home home use" means that it doesn't work longer
than 4 years. Nobody wants a printer _that_ old. :-)

> bt i found it.  and the ONLY
> 	difference i can see is __One__.  the cheap one is the "n";
> 	you have to by-hand set it to do duplex.    the "dn" and the
> 	"x" have "automatic" duplex handling.

So then, what is non-automatic duplex handling, i. e.
manual duplexing? Reloading the paper yourself? Well,
then all non-duplex-able printers _are_ duplexing,
it's just to be manually. :-)

>  interesting what
> 	just a litte hunting can tell you.  Yeah, postscript, pcl 5
> 	and 6.

Excellent, should save you much trouble. And networking
is also a fine feature, very handy, especially if you
want to be able to print from more than one machine.
USB simply isn't that smart. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany