legal notices at the end of emails

Chip Camden sterling at camdensoftware.com
Wed Jul 27 16:47:00 UTC 2011

Quoth Svein Skogen (Listmail account) on Wednesday, 27 July 2011:

> Those e-mail-footers of legalese-sounding mumbo-jumbo threatening
> voodoo-action against you and anybody standing next to you, should you
> not be the sole designated, implied or expressed, recipient of that
> e-mail, are _LESS_ binding than "shrinkwrap EULAs", and has less actual
> legal content than the gold-content of seawater. They add the footers to
> sound important. It's a mild case of narcissism.

I think it's more of a CYA than narcissism -- but a poor one.  Or it
may be the equivalent of "please keep it to yourself" framed in legalese
for added effect -- the 21st century version of pronouncing a curse upon
the offender, and just as effective.

--
.O. | Sterling (Chip) Camden      | http://camdensoftware.com
..O | sterling at camdensoftware.com | http://chipsquips.com