Hi installing on windows dual boot

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Jul 27 11:58:44 UTC 2011

On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:06:57 +0000, Ganesh Khedkar wrote:
> Hi all,
>      I am new to FreeBSD , just wanted to give one suggestion that , Ubuntu linux have given one
> Nice facility to user that they can easily install Ubuntu in windows and any drive we want .
>     Even we can assign size to that drive . So cant we provide this facility to our user .
> So that people can experience freeBSD.

Currently you cannot install FreeBSD from withing "Windows",
if this is what you mean. FreeBSD is an operating system
that needs to be booted _on_ the machine it should be
installed to, as the installer requires that OS - just
the same way you cannot simply "try" a "Windows" by
installing it into, let's say... Solaris. :-)

Hint 1: You need to install FreeBSD in order to use it.
This is done by booting FreeBSD.

However, you can "install" (i. e. use) a system image for
a virtualisation software, e. g. for VMWare or VirtualPC.
You can use the default installation approaches (from CD
or DVD, from USB drive), or you can download a "turnkey"
solution that provides a preinstalled and preconfigured
system that you can run within "Windows" (using the VM
solution).

An example is VirtualBSD: http://www.virtualbsd.info/

Hint 2: You can use a VM solution.

You can _easily_ install a dual-boot solution for FreeBSD
and "Windows", but you have to do that from within the
FreeBSD installer, as mentioned above.

You can _also_ use PC-BSD to install a "normal" FreeBSD,
as well as the PC-BSD operating system (derived from FreeBSD).
This is also simple and easy.

Find more info here: http://www.pcbsd.org/

Hint 3: Dual-booting is easy. :-)

During _any_ of the installation methods mentioned, you
can define the target drive and the size of your installation.
Typically it is a hard disk, but it doesn't have to be.

More information is provided by the FreeBSD Handbook and
the FAQ, which you'll find here:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/

FreeBSD provides excellent documentation that helps you
to do the easy task of installation.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany