Book recommendations (slightly OT)

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 20:08:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Mark Moellering <mark at msen.com> wrote:
> I want to automate some tasks, creating directories, file editing, etc.  I
> was going to pick up a book on shell scripting but wanted to ask the list
> if;
> A) I am barking up the wrong tree and should use something else.
> B) If I am headed in the right direction, what is the best book / resource
> to use?
>
> Thanks in advance

Mark,

There are many utilities out there and programs, I would recommend visiting

http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

In that page, several references are given, including but not limited to

the powerful handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/basics.html

A nice short introduction:

http://8help.osu.edu/wks/unix_course/

Chris several posts ago recommended me visit a nice page:

http://steve-parker.org/sh/eg/directories/

You can look over several pages, there are many out there that you can
get without paying $$, and also there's another document by William
Shotts that could be of help:

http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't worry that it says that it is for linux, it can be used on
freebsd too!, just be careful if you don't have bash shell, /bin/bash,
change to /bin/sh and the script should work, just make sure that
commands are not linux specific :)

Regards,

Antonio